Year 10 into 11
YEAR 10 into 11 SUBJECT SELECTION FOR PARENTS AND STUDENTS
Your child is approaching a significant phase of their school life. It is now time for them to start to think about possible future careers and the pathways they might need to follow to achieve their goals. At WHSPA, we want to provide parents and students with all the necessary information and support to make appropriate subject selection choices for their senior years of schooling.
Typically, a significant number of our students progress on to university study, while others decide to undertake more traditional vocational pathways. Students need to think carefully and critically about whether they need an ATAR. Students can still obtain an HSC certification without getting an ATAR.
The subject selection process at Wollongong High School of the Performing Arts includes:
- Video released to explain the HSC https://youtu.be/9RbrD5bE2Ys (this is now replacing the subject selection evening). This video covers;
- NESA requirements for a Higher School Certificate
- Requirements for an ATAR/ Category B subjects
- Patterns of study for HSC or University Entry- what is the difference?
- VET courses (Hospitality, Construction, Entertainment)
- The subject selection processes
- The different courses in English and Mathematics will be explained in the Market Day
- Student seminars will be held during Periods 1-2 on Monday 27 July and Tuesday 28 July, which involve teachers of senior subjects describing and explaining the content and requirements of the various courses.
- Student issued subject selection packages.
- Individual interviews with Senior Executive (29th – 30th July). Students will complete a survey form and bring it to their interview. Students will be notified of their interview time.
- Subject selections is an online process that will close on Monday 10 August at 9 am.